It was freezing cold this morning. I went out in the garage for a few minutes, ran the leeboard & rudder pieces through the table saw to make them exactly the correct width and then came back into the house.
I finished gluing up the temporary form using Titebond III and then did some stuff with the boys. Came home later in the afternoon and it was very nice working in the sun so I worked on the bottom pieces, planing down to the cut lines. I also drew some extra station lines and measured from the centre to make sure my batten lines were symmetric. Cleaned up the garage and called it a day at suppertime.
One side from centre…
The other side from centre…
Today was mostly a clean-up day. I did a bit of work. I framed the temporary form using 1X4 spruce that I cut into 1 1/2 wide pieces. I screwed the pieces to the form using some brass screws I’ve had for about ten years. I am going to take it apart and glue the frame pieces to the form inside the house tonight if I can swing it.
I cut close to the edges on most of the bottom pieces. I left a strip about 2 feet long on both sides of the joint flat to help me line them up when it is time to epoxy them together.
I cleaned off the countertop to make room for all the tools I am using. This will save me walking around wondering where I left something … provided I get into the habit of putting tools on the counter after using them. I’m pretty terrible for laying things down wherever I happen to be when I finish using it.
Hunter and I went looking for c-clamps today…unsuccessfully. I don’t know why you can’t find inexpensive clamps but you can’t. I did check out a Makita 9227 Sander/Polisher at House of Tools. Nice piece of gear. Don’t know if I really need something like that. Samual Devlin recommends his quite highly in his book. I think I should spend the money on good lumber for the mast and spars. I saw a similar tool at Princess Auto for $60…quite a bit less than $239 for the Makita.
After I finished vacuuming the garage with my new Rigid shop vac I put all the pieces on the sawhorse platform to have a look and take some photos….and figure out how these pieces all go together. Seeing everything laid out was good. I have gotten quite a bit done before my planned April 1st start date. If it would just warm up enough for me to do the butt joints on the long pieces I’d be nearly ready to start assembling the boat.
All the pieces laid out….
From the other end…
Tonight I finished drawing out the remaining pieces to be cut from the 1/2 plywood and I cut them all out just roughly. I still have a lot of work to get them to size. Then I cut out the bottom to within 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the edges. It feels great to have the bottom pieces on the sawhorses revealing a boat shape! I found out tonight my sons have a bet between themselves as to whether or not I screw up…..I told the disbeliever his money was as good as gone!
Decided to lay out the leeboards and rudder blades differently from the plans so that I would have more waste between the bottom and the leeboard pieces on the 1/2″ plywood. Due to the splintering and my less than steady cutting with the jigsaw I decided to do this. I asked Chuck Leinweber a couple of questions about how I was planning to proceed before deciding to go ahead with my plan. Chuck is so great about getting back to me on email!
I cut out a rudder cheek template from a piece of scrap to help me with laying things out. I also made a homemade compass to use to draw circles to round off the corners on the leeboards and rudder.
Cut out temporary Form 8…can’t remember what else as I have let posting go for three days. I didn’t spend too much time working as I was at the office until late. Cleaned up and reorganized.
Got quite a bit more accomplished today. I cut out the bilge panel and side panel from two sheets of 1/4″ and the transom from a sheet of 1/2″. I used the jigsaw for the bilge and side and then the handplanes to bring things down to the lines. I love those handplanes! In addition to the old one of my Dad’s, I was using a small 10: long plane that I salvaged from a friend’s junk pile many years ago.
I used the table saw to do most of the work on the transom, leaving just small amounts to be taken off by the handplanes.
I was at work all afternoon and in the evening I laid out temporary Form 8 on the sheet of construction plywood I bought for that purpose. I had a bunch of stuff piled on the table saw and the floor was clean and I didn’t feel like moving everything and sweeping up again so I lapped my japanese waterstone and then figured out how to use the new sharpening guide. I gave the iron from my Dad’s old plane a sharpening. It just sings when it is freshly sharpened! That was enough for today!
Total time (Today/Total): 4/18
I found a finer blade my jigsaw tonight and it was much better. Not as good as my Japanese
saw but much better!
Got all my bulkheads cut out and laid out one side panel and bilge panel tonight. I bought a flexible piece of hemlock molding this morning to use as a batten. I set up the table saw with a featherboard and a hold-down (block of wood held on by a clamp and fed it through until I got it 1/4″ thick and flat on both sides then I laid it down and ripped it 1″
I ripped a 3/4″ sheet of construction ply in half and then nailed it across my three sawhorses to make a long table. Laid the pieces of marine ply end to end that I had previously marked out the measurements for the side panel and bilge panel on using the grid system in the plans. I fiddled about trying to figure out ways to keep the batten in place and it was just impossible.
Then, I came up with a solution. I tapped in some small nails at each measurement point, and used small c-clamps to hold the batten to the nails. Ran a pencil along the batten to mark the lines and everything was good!