Saturday, March 22/08

I found a finer blade my jigsaw tonight and it was much better. Not as good as my Japanese
saw but much better!

Got all my bulkheads cut out and laid out one side panel and bilge panel tonight. I bought a flexible piece of hemlock molding this morning to use as a batten. I set up the table saw with a featherboard and a hold-down (block of wood held on by a clamp and fed it through until I got it 1/4″ thick and flat on both sides then I laid it down and ripped it 1″
wide/high.

I ripped a 3/4″ sheet of construction ply in half and then nailed it across my three sawhorses to make a long table. Laid the pieces of marine ply end to end that I had previously marked out the measurements for the side panel and bilge panel on using the grid system in the plans. I fiddled about trying to figure out ways to keep the batten in place and it was just impossible.

Then, I came up with a solution. I tapped in some small nails at each measurement point, and used small c-clamps to hold the batten to the nails. Ran a pencil along the batten to mark the lines and everything was good!

dsc_4735.jpg

dsc_4737.jpg

5/14

Murray

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Cutting and shaping, Layout, Tools

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s