Before going to work this morning I epoxied two support pieces to the sides of the front compartments about 1/3 of the way from the front. After work I cut the slots for the cross piece and fitted a cross piece. Then, rather than cut the slots I decided to screw/epoxy on a couple of narrow supports for a piece that runs from the crosspiece to the front bulkhead. This is there to keep the pieces from bulkhead 4.5 to the crosspiece from pushing the crosspiece out of shape.
On the way home from work I picked up some primer and alkyd marine enamel from General Paint. I chose a dark green for the main colour of the boat. At the end of the night I painted about a square foot on a piece of scrap. I think it will look pretty good.