15/269 Transom, Hatch Covers, etc.

The last couple of days I have gotten a fair bit done. I am undecided on whether or not to use the epoxy primer I have or to go with an alkyd or latex primer. I had been planning on starting to prime the inside of the bulkheads Saturday morning but decided to do other things instead while I thought about what type of paint to use.

I have gone over the edges of the deck covers with the 1/4″ round over bit and in the places I can’t reach with the router I have used my trusty handplane and a sanding block. It looks much better with the square edges knocked off.

Saturday morning I grabbed a 2×4 I have had laying around and tried fitting it to the transom. The transom plywood has developed a bit of an inward curve. The 2×4 was also curved so I tried clamping it with the curve outwards and pulling the transom to it. I think it would have left too large a gap that may have been difficult to fill and turned the other way the curves matched nicely and it was an easy clamp job. I cut it approximately to length.

Then, I decided to lower the transom by 3″ so that it has a finished height of about 15″. I marked this out and then used the jigsaw to cut it fairly close. After it was close I clamped a piece of wood to the inside of the transom on the final cut line and used the router with the edge trimming bit to cut to the edge. A bit more work with a wood rasp and the sanding block and things were looking good.

Then, I decided to drill holes for the 3/8″ bolts suggested by Jim Michalak to bolt the transom support posts (Made of 2x4s) to the 2×4 motor board. I had previously picked up 3 1/2″ long bolts which were too short. After drilling the holes I decided to drill some recesses so that the bolts would be usable. Because I had drilled 3/8″ holes I figured that the Forstner bits would be difficult to center and decided to use the large router bit I have that is 1 1/8″ across. Well, it did the job but it ain’t too pretty! I may just fill those holes right in with filleting material before I am done.

That being done I cut the small pieces of wood that go around the outside edge of the wood. I debated doing an inlay but eventually opted for the easier route of cutting the hatch covers and then fitting the wood to the edges with rabbeted joints.

Hunter helped me by turning the saw off and on and actually cut a couple of pieces to length on the table saw with me watching him like a hawk. He was pretty scared and asked to just man the switch. I am glad he has respect for the danger of this machine but it was good for him to give it a try.

By the time the evening ended I had one hatch cover glued and clamped. The other one will have to wait for late tomorrow or Monday as we are going to Iroquois Lake tomorrow to hopefully do a little kayaking and to mow the grass on our lot.

Photos:



Lastly, just the plywood for the front hatch cover laying in place…

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Assembly, Cutting and shaping, Tools

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s